The Astino Monastery is a building of rare beauty, a small jewel set between the Allegrezza wood and the Benaglia hill. It was founded in 1107 by the Vallombrosian monks who, in the enchanting green of the Bergamo valleys, found the perfect incarnation of an ideal physical and spiritual union between man and nature.
It was completed in 1540, when the mighty south-west tower, which still dominates over the valley, was built. Restoration work in 2013 brought it back to its former glory, bringing to light some frescoed monastery rooms. From summer 2020, the monastery hosts ‘Cavour 1880’ summer location.